Why Greyhounds Make Greyt Pets
Aug 19, 2022
"Having worked as a dog trainer with dozens of different breeds I can tell you this – there is truly nothing quite like a greyhound"
- A personal story by Charlie Jayde.
If you’ve taken the time to read anything written by me for GAP, then you’ve likely read many good reasons to adopt a retired racing greyhound. However, my big mouth has more to say, and I have compiled a list of particularly compelling reasons for you this week.
- Greyhounds don’t need much exercise. They are built for sprinting, not marathons, so you won’t need to spend hours walking them. They’re incredibly lazy.
- Greyhounds don’t need a big backyard! Due to their docile nature and sleepy demeanour, greyhounds often suit apartment living and full-time workers.
- Greyhounds don’t smell! Well, not their skin anyway – I can’t speak for their behinds. Greyhounds, like many sighthounds, do not produce the same oils that most breeds do and therefore don’t get that ‘doggy’ smell and have fewer allergens.
- GAP Greyhounds come to you already vaccinated, desexed, and microchipped! This takes so much of the stress of a new pet away.
- Greyhounds are quirky creatures and will never cease to entertain. Whether it be happy chattery teeth, insane zoomies, or a lanky ‘roach’ - a hound will never fail to make you giggle.
- You become part of a community. When you adopt a retired greyhound, you gain access to a beautiful family of greyhound lovers in Australia and across the world. The Facebook groups are endless, and the walking groups are welcoming and fun.
- People will compliment your hound in the streets. Greyhounds stand out from the crowd, and people are often absolutely delighted to meet them out on walks.
If I haven’t sold you with that list, then I don’t know what will – perhaps visit the Greyhounds as Pets SA website or do some of your google work. Having worked as a dog trainer with dozens of different breeds I can tell you this – there is truly nothing quite like a greyhound.
Author: Charlie Jayde
Greyhound Owner for 4 years / GAP Volunteer
Experienced Dog Trainer